Water rises by capillary action where inadequate or damaged damp proof courses are present in the walls of the home.
Lateral ( Penetrating) Damp
True Professionals on Damp Repair
Damp Cause Analysis
Dampproofing Do’s & Dont
- Scrape and paint
- Apply a waterproofing product on the wall to the height of the damp, as the damp will rise above the waterproofing and create a bigger problem.
- Do only one side of the wall.
- Remove contaminated plaster to plus minus 200mm above the damp to dry brick.
- Inject a new dpc and waterproof below/above the new DPC.
- Waterproof both sides of the wall where possible, and re-plaster with a salt retarding plaster.
Get Free Consultation
What health problems does black mould cause?
Toxic black mould, or Stachybotrys chartarum, as it’s known to scientists, can release spores as it feeds on organic materials in common household materials like drywall, carpet, insulation or sub-flooring that have been exposed to moisture. These spores, if ingested or inhaled, can cause a range of unpleasant and even dangerous symptoms in humans.
What are Salts
Its Not the moisture which causes damage in the walls/plaster, but the salt contained int the moisture. Building materials such as sand, cement, brick and water cantain a variety of salts . Damp is the vehicle but salts are the driver, and do ther damage and have to be removed if a permanent solution is to be found
Buying a New Home ?
Take a moment and make sure that there is no damp present, some sellers go to great lengthens to hide the damp.